Integration of collection data
Integration of collection data captured in Swiss institutions
The intended computer architecture is described in the exposition of January 28, 2004 presented in Bern. Two solutions exist for the institutions wishing to introduce data into the international GBIF network:
- Integration of data by the server of the centralized GBIF.ch node
- Integration of data by a server suitable for the institution
Option 1 : Integration of data by the centralized GBIF.ch node (servers)
The data-processing infrastructure of the centralized node is intended for the institutions which do not wish or cannot offer the services of an independent node.
Once the mapping of the basic data structure of the institution has been carried out by GBIF.ch, the recorded data of specimens can be integrated within the international GBIF network.
GBIF.ch takes charge of the inscription of the institution at GBIF international and ensures the availability and the permanent integration of its data on the GBIF.ch servers.
The Information contained is updated according to a protocol and a periodicity defined with the institutions having agreed to provide information. In the future, the institutions will be able to profit from the integrated GIS services.
Advantages for the institution:
- limited data-processing management: no application software needed to establish and manage; does not need to ensure the permanence of a server on line
- no specific investments required: neither for connection, nor for the software
- does not need to acquire new data-processing skills
- guaranteed network security
- apparent loss of autonomy in the management of the flow of its own information.
Option 2 : Integration of data by a server of the institution
As an independent node, an institution can make its data available by the means of its own interactive server.
The institution must guarantee a permanent availability of its data, and manages the whole of the procedure allowing a continual flow of its information towards GBIF.
This requires: a suitable server, the implementation and the management of GBIF tools, a direct recording with the GBIF gate and obtaining an endorsement of the Swiss participant node.
- the resources currently at the disposal of the Swiss participant node exclude any technical assistance for the installation and maintenance of the servers, as well as that of tools required by independent nodes.
The option 2 has been adopted